Formula Drift Atlanta May 2009

Well, This is my first blog and I thought it should be about Formula D from this past weekend May 8th & 9th at Road Atlanta.
Most of you that will read this know that I own and operate my own business called Performance Hose Distributing. Selling Aeroquip & Goodridge products to the performance market and trying to make it in this economy.

My good freind Doug Van Den Brink (DV) called me on Sunday May 3rd and said he was coming to Formula D on May 7th-9th, but no one was coming to help with the car this time other than Doug Nagy from StreetWise parts in CA. So I made some calls and Derek Rummage a good freind I grew up with said he would go with me to help DV out. Derek and I spent most of the day Thursday out on the race track getting sun burned and smelling rubber burning which is great if you're a car person. Test day was great for DV because he learned more about the track and with CA Doug's help it really showed.

Now comes the fun part of owning your own business, I had to go to work at 8pm on Thursday to finish some hose kits for a customer that I hand delivered to him on Friday at Formula D. Well I was so tired Thursday night I finished them on Friday morning before Derek & I left for the track. DV this is one reason for being late to the track Friday morning.

On Friday my lovely wife came to help and man we were glad to see her, because she had lunch! I was so greatful that day at 2pm when she arrived, because all day Thursday we went with out eating and didn't eat until that night on the way home. Also DV had two guys Corey & Jason show up to help and man was I thankful they showed up. We worked hard during practice making sure we had fresh tires, we watched the track for changes, and DV was focused on his driving. During the last part of practice DV's clutch started acting up and he had to change the way he drove the top part of the "P" to save it for qualifing. He laid down to good runs during qualifing to lock himself into 18th overall.

Right after is run we loaded the truck and rushed back to the trailer to change the clutch. With everyones help we got it done and almost made the last practice for the day, but we just missed it. If it wasn't for the starter we would have had plently of time. Derek was the lucky person in charge of the starter and I commend him for doing a great job.

Now for Saturday, the biggest day of the weekend. Top 32 tandem to top 16 tandem and this year I think this was the best thing Formula D did to mix things up a little. DV was up against Joon Maeng and DV had to follow on the first run. Going into the "P" it was a good battle and everything was clean, but coming out of the top of the "P" DV got a good run (maybe too good) and drove in next to Joon. When he did that he took Joon's line away and Joon spun. After they looked everything over DV had to lead and by far this would be DV's best run of the weekend. It wasn't enough points on the second one to make up for the first run, so Joon moved on to the top 16. DV showed he can make top 16 and I feel like his time will come very shortly. Maybe Wall Speedway in June?
After top 32 tandem, we loaded the car up and watched the rest of the event with the fans. I've never been this tired before and just ready to find my bed, but it was fun and I'm sure I will do it again next year.


Thank You, Andy

0 comments:

Post a Comment